Children & Families Strategy Team Recap
On Wednesday December 18th, the last Children & Families Strategy Team meeting of the year took place at the McCleskey YMCA center.
Policy Analyst for Voices for Georgia’s Children Brittney Newton gave a sobering presentation on the needs currently represented for children and families throughout Georgia. This was followed by policy recommendations & initiatives as well as a very applicable way that we can all grow and engage the youth and children within in our community to reduce illiteracy, teen suicide mortality rate, and much for. For the entire presentation click the link below.
Senior Operations Director of Programs for the McCleskey/East Cobb YMCAs Katie Furlough gave a presentation on the community functions and operations of YMCA. In the north metro Atlanta area there are 18 YMCA branches and 27 locations (this includes Head Start and Early Head Start programs). The YMCA is passionate about the community and they would like to come alongside your clothing drives, outreach events, and programs.
– How the YMCA can help your organization:
- Lead corporate team buildings
- Exhibit at community festivals to distirbute guest passes and talk about YMCA programs
- Hand out scholarships to those in need (people that are apart of the Family promise program get free membership)
- Provide outreach opportunities
- Recruit YMCA members as volunteers for your events
– How you can help
- If you have something going on in the community let the YMCA know
- Host a drive benefiting community members ( coats, presents, food for school breaks, etc.)
- Share needs in the community with the Y for possible connections
- Spread the word of Y programs (Senior events, lunch and learns, sport events, and camps)
- Follow the YMCA social media
Contact or visit your local YMCA today!